Thursday, January 9, 2014

The little things

It has been my habit to make a post about things I am thankful for on Thursdays. This post will not vary too much from that. But, I want to take some time to really talk about something specific.....


Taking things for granted.


Oh, boy! We are all guilty of this. No matter how humble and full of thankfulness you may be, you (and everyone else) have taken someone or something for granted at some time or another. I am, unfortunately, guilty of this on a daily basis.


This past week has given me plenty of opportunity to recognize some of the things I take for granted. We, in this blessed country of the US, take MUCH for granted. If your television is turned on for more than a half hour, you are likely to see a commercial begging your assistance for starving children in some foreign country. I dare say that a large portion of the population on this earth would feel blessed beyond measure to have just one of the many things that most of us take for granted on a daily basis.


Water. I turn on the faucet, it's there. I never doubt this to be true. It simply is. This past week, a large number of friends and family were without water because their town's water system froze and several "mains" broke. So, even when the city was able to get water flowing freely again, they had to shut it down to repair the large pipe system. They would turn the water on for at least a few hours at a time to allow folks water to bathe, etc. But, the whole city was on a boil order for the water they consumed. Oh, my at the complaints I saw via social media and text messages! That something as simple as water, or the lack thereof, could cause so many problems really made me think. Water is vital for life. We cannot live without it, yet we often take it for granted. I am truly grateful that I live in a time and place where good, clean water is so easy for me to obtain. I'm going to try really hard not to take water for granted anymore.


A roof over my head. This is something I rarely think about. I am an adult and there is responsibility involved with keeping a roof over my head, but I honestly take it for granted. I wake up, go about all my daily activities, and go to sleep all without thinking about the protection it is providing me. The weather all across this nation this past week or so has really made me appreciate the roof over my head.


Electricity. Without it, nothing - and I mean nothing - in this house would work. We are "all electric" here. It has it's advantages. It has it's disadvantages. Our power has flickered quite a bit over the last few days. Probably the draw of extra power with folks turning their heating systems up a bit in an effort to stay warm. I never really appreciate the power of flipping a switch and bathing a room in light, or powering an appliance I need to use.......until it's not there. I vow to try to remember to always be grateful for electricity.


Heat and Air Conditioning. Ok, so nobody wants to talk about A/C right now, unless you live near the equator. But, heat! I actually have been VERY grateful for heat this past week. We were outside over the weekend trying to prepare the chicken coop for the incoming polar blast. A day late, and a dollar short, I might add. It was already in the 20s and the wind was whipping! I am a hot-natured person. The kind you see with short sleeves on in the dead of winter. The kind that wears a light jacket when everyone else is wearing a parka and Uggs. The kind that is the first one in shorts and flip flops in the early spring. I detest hot weather and look forward to fall and winter every year. But, this weekend while working outside, I had on my heavy coat, a thick, fuzzy scarf wrapped around my head and neck, and gloves and I was still freezing! I could not wait to get inside to my nice toasty warm house. My husband works in the HVAC industry and I get lots of calls for his assistance from friends, family, and strangers when the weather turns really cold or really hot. I try not to take the heat or A/C for granted, but I know I do just as everyone else does......until it goes out. Then, I'm afraid I probably take my poor hubby for granted. It doesn't matter what hour of the day, when it goes on the blink, he's right there to fix it. I shall try extremely hard not to take him or our HVAC systems for granted.


Food in the fridge and cabinets. There's really nothing more to say about this. So many do not have this luxury. Don't take it for granted.


A healthy family. I think most of us have had a loved one fall ill. It's a scary thing. Don't take the health of your family for granted. For so many, having a healthy family is their only prayer.


A car to drive. I definitely take this luxury for granted. I get in, turn the key, and go. I don't think about what a blessing it is, until something goes wrong and I can't get in, turn the key, and go. Be thankful if you have a car to drive. No matter what condition it's in, if you are able to get in it and go, be grateful.


This list could go on forever. I will spare you that. Try, if you will, today to make a mental list of all the "little" things that you never think of that make your life so easy. When that list keeps growing and growing and growing, smile and know that you are truly blessed. Then take some time and thank your Heavenly Father for all that He has given you.


You may not have everything you want, but if you are reading this, I'll bet that you have pretty much everything you need. If you don't feel like you have everything you need - if it is truly a need and not just a desire of your heart - get on your knees and pray about it.


Much love to you. Stay warm, stay happy, and look for joy in the small things!

No comments:

Post a Comment